Fort Clinch State Park
Fernandina Beach, Nassau County
Part of the United States’ early coastal defenses, Fort Clinch was constructed to protect shipping along the St. Mary’s River. Built in 1847, Fort Clinch was named for General Duncan Lamont Clinch, a leader during the Seminole Wars. Although the fort never saw action, it was occupied by both Confederate and Union troops during the Civil War. Constructed of brick, Fort Clinch was purchased by the state in 1935 and transformed by the Civilian Conservation Corps into a state park in 1938.
Did You Know...
- Furnished officers’ quarters, barracks, kitchens, guardhouse, and blacksmith shop portray life at the fort during the mid-19th century.
- There are seven archaeological site recorded in the park. Several of the sites are associated with activities of the fort including a Civil War army encampment. Archaeologists recovered a number of artifacts from this site such as china, ginger beer bottles, and glass.
- 1,363-acre state park features 1 mile of beach, 3 miles of shoreline, 2.3 miles of hiking trails and 6 miles of hiking/biking trails, camp grounds, visitor center with historical exhibits, and gift shop.